I decided I wasn't going to let the peskey bellows defeat me, so I went for it again. My copper bellows MkII are a success! Here's what I did...
As before, I made a wax model on the lathe. This time I stuck to the rules I mentioned in my other copper bellows effort above.
It had two sessions in the plating solution. One to get the form strong enought to survive a bit of handeling and the burn-out. And another to build up a decent thickness of metal.
I realised later that the problem was that even though I had calculated my current density ok, I was using voltage control to achieve it. So my overall power/wattage was less than it should be. Hence the thin deposit.